The Hasselback technique—a collection of slight, narrow cuts, generally made use of on potatoes—isn’t just for spuds. This Thanksgiving, try out it out on hunks of butternut squash this final side dish—or even vegan centerpiece—is anything the entire family members can get on board with.
The name’s origin is thanks to a cafe in Sweden referred to as Hasselbacken, where the strategy was initial employed. Whilst this system appears visually interesting, it in fact serves a very crucial purpose: The incisions allow all that taste to penetrate all over your decided on vessel—not just the exterior. In this recipe for maple Hasselback butternut squash—studded with fennel, walnuts, and pomegranate seeds—the squash gets drenched in a maple syrup and olive oil sauce, building it the great balance of sweet, savory, and a minimal spicy. Oh, and it is terrific for the ‘gram far too!
- Complete: 1 hr 20 min
- Energetic: 15 min
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled, halved lengthwise, seeds taken out
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, in addition far more for oiling
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, in addition a lot more for seasoning
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus far more for seasoning
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- ¼ teaspoon purple pepper flakes
- 1 fennel bulb, main removed, thinly sliced
- 1 cup walnuts
- ½ cup pomegranate seeds
- Flaky sea salt, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400&ringF.
- On a chopping board, rub the squash halves with olive oil on all sides, and time with salt and pepper. Transfer the squash, slash aspect down, to a rimmed baking sheet and roast for 30 minutes till a knife is quickly inserted.
- Carefully eliminate the squash from the baking sheet and transfer to a chopping board. Slash the squash halfway down, building certain not to slash via the foundation, in ¼-inch incisions strains. Carefully return again to the baking sheet, cut aspect down.
- In a bowl, merge the maple syrup, 1 tablespoon of olive oil, 2 teaspoons of salt, 1 teaspoon of black pepper, and red pepper flakes.
- Incorporate 1½ tablespoons of the maple combination to a bowl with the sliced fennel and toss to blend.
- Pour the remaining maple syrup combination around the squash, creating guaranteed to pour it into the incisions. Spread the fennel close to the squash on the baking sheet, and roast for 30 minutes, until the fennel starts to brown and the squash starts to caramelize on the base.
- Insert the walnuts on top rated of the squash and fennel and roast for 5 extra minutes.
- Provide topped with pomegranate seeds and flaky sea salt.
Impression courtesy of Alexis deBoschnek.