In these autumnal vegetarian hand pies, cubes of butternut squash roasted with cumin and coriander meet up with up with tangy fresh goat cheese inside flaky, buttery pastry. Serve these as a significant afternoon snack with a glass of wine, or pair with a butter lettuce and pumpkin seed salad for a gratifying lunch.
Recreation system: You can get ready the filling up to 2 days just before you assemble the pies. You can make the dough and refrigerate it for up to 1 day, or keep it in the freezer for up to a thirty day period (transfer it to the fridge for thawing the day ahead of you approach to make the pies).
Have some leftover butternut squash? Try out our uncomplicated butternut squash soup recipe.
- Produce: 8 to 10 personal pies
- Problem: Medium
- Complete: 1 hr 10 minutes, furthermore at the very least 45 mins chilling time
- Active: 40 minutes
For the flaky pie dough:
- 2 cups all-intent flour
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4 cup quite cold unsalted butter (1 1/2 sticks), in modest cubes
- 8 tablespoons ice drinking water, plus far more if wanted
For the filling:
- 1 (2-1/2-pound) butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and reduce into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 teaspoon floor cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon floor coriander
- Kosher salt to style
- Crimson pepper flakes to taste
- Olive oil
- 1 egg yolk beaten with 1 teaspoon warm water
- 6 ounces chèvre (refreshing goat cheese), crumbled
To make the dough:
- In the bowl of a food stuff processor, stir together the flour and salt. Sprinkle the butter more than the leading and pulse for a couple seconds, or just till the butter is somewhat damaged up into the flour but however in seen items. Evenly sprinkle the drinking water more than the flour mixture, then process just until finally the mixture starts off to come jointly.
- Dump the dough on to a get the job done area, push it collectively, then divide it in fifty percent. Push every 50 percent into a disk, then area the disks in a significant zipper-top plastic bag. Refrigerate the dough for at minimum 30 minutes or as long as 1 day.
To make the filling:
- Heat the oven to 425°F and arrange a rack in the center. Area the butternut squash cubes on a large rimmed baking sheet. Sprinkle with the cumin, coriander, a large pinch of salt, and pink pepper flakes to style. Drizzle with a little olive oil. Toss to coat evenly, then spread in a one layer. Roast until eventually tender and caramelized, turning sometimes, about 20 minutes. Let great totally before working with.
To assemble and bake:
- Reduce the oven heat to 400°F. Line a huge rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Divide the chilled dough into 8 to 10 pieces. On a floured get the job done surface area, roll out each piece of dough into a circle about 1⁄8-inch thick. Put the circles on the baking sheet and refrigerate for about 10 minutes.
- Brush a slim layer of the egg combination across half of every single circle. Divide the roasted squash amongst the dough circles, putting it in the center of the circle. Sprinkle each individual with some of the goat cheese, dividing it evenly. Fold the dough around the filling to make a half moon. Trim off any excessive dough, producing guaranteed to depart plenty of of a margin to seal. Push the edges with a fork to seal.
- Transfer the hand pies to the organized baking sheet, arranging them evenly. Location in the freezer for 5 minutes. Brush the tops with the remaining egg mixture, then—using the tines of the fork—poke vents in the top of each hand pie.
- Bake right up until puffed and golden brown, about 25 to 30 minutes. Let cool a bit prior to serving.